MMDA Number Coding Window, Suspension: Makati, Taguig, EDSA, C5
Herewith is Tutubi's take on the MMDA Number coding scheme for 2014, with verified information from a friend working at MMDA head office on EDSA, Guadalupe Nuevo, Makati City.
UPDATED: April 2014
MMDA Number Coding Scheme basics:
Vehicles with plate numbers ending with 1 or 2 are banned from 7am to 7pm on Monday; 3 or 4 Tuesday; 5 or 6 on Wednesday; 7 or 8 on Thursday and lastly if it's 9 or 0, it's a no-car-day Friday. Private cars are allowed to go out on the streets between the MMDA number coding window hours of 10am to 3pm.
It sounds easy until you get to know that the MMDA number coding window is not honored in the Republic of Makati and Las Pinas City while there are no number coding schemes in Taguig, Paranaque, Muntinlupa and Marikina.
Number coding for dummies for the 16 cities and lone Municipality of Metro Manila:
1. Caloocan Number Coding Window: Number coding hours in Caloocan City follows the MMDA number coding schedule from 7am to 7pm with 10am to 3pm window hours for private vehicles.
2. Las Pinas Number Coding Window: No number coding window hours in Las Pinas City. Number coding is strictly 7am to 7pm (same with Makati Republic)
3. Makati Number Coding Window: Number coding in Makati is strictly 7am to 7pm with no number coding window, even the "Eagles of Makati" sticker on Tutubi's car does not grant exemption from number coding in Makati. Avoid the stretch of Kalayaan that connects C5 to EDSA, it's part of Makati territory, where MAPSA traffic enforcers await. You can, however, drive on the Makati segment of EDSA from Guadalupe to Magallanes during number coding window hours of 10am to 3pm.
4. Malabon Number Coding Window: Number coding hours in Malabon City follows the MMDA number coding schedule from 7am to 7pm with 10am to 3pm window hours for private vehicles.
5. Mandaluyong Number Coding Window: Number coding hours in Mandaluyong City follows the MMDA number coding schedule from 7am to 7pm with 10am to 3pm window hours for private vehicles.
6. Manila Number Coding Window: Number coding hours in the City of Manila follows the MMDA number coding schedule from 7am to 7pm with 10am to 3pm window hours for private vehicles. No number coding on June 24 (Araw ng Maynila/Manila Day)
7. Marikina Number Coding: No number coding in Marikina City, drive around anytime but be mindful when crossing city boundaries with Pasig City and Quezon City
8. Muntinlupa Number Coding: No number coding in Muntinlupa City (including Alabang, of course), drive around anytime but be mindful when crossing city boundaries with Las Pinas (where there are no number coding window hours)
9. Navotas Number Coding Window: Number coding hours in Navotas follows the MMDA number coding schedule from 7am to 7pm with 10am to 3pm window hours for private vehicles.
10. Paranaque Number Coding: Window: Number coding hours in Paranaque follows the MMDA number coding schedule from 7am to 7pm with 10am to 3pm window hours for private vehicles only in the following areas:
10.1 San Antonio Avenue, Pres. Aguinaldo St., Dominique Savio St., Japan St., Michael Rua St., and France St. in Barangay Don Bosco.
10.2 E. Rodriguez St. in Barangay Moonwalk, Doña Soledad Extension and Doña Soledad Avenue in Barangay Don Bosco.
10.3.East Service Road from Dr. Santos Avenue up to FTI Parañaque area.
10.4 West Service Road from Dr. Santos Avenue up to Merville Park Subdivision Parañaque area
11. Pasay Number Coding Window : Number coding hours in Pasay follows the MMDA number coding schedule from 7am to 7pm with 10am to 3pm window hours for private vehicles. However, major roads in Pasay City leading to the four Manila Airport Terminals(Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminals 1, 2 and 3 (NAIA) and Manila Domestic Airport) are exempted from number coding scheme:
a. Andrews Avenue (formerly Airport Road, where NAIA Terminal 3 is located)
b. Aurora Blvd (formerly Tramo, connects EDSA to Andrews Avenue)
c. Domestic Road (links Andrews Ave and NAIA Road, where the old Manila Domestic Airport Terminal is located)
d. NAIA Road (formerly MIA Road, links Macapagal Boulevard, Roxas Blvd, Manila- Cavite Coastal Road, Domestic Road and Ninoy Aquino Ave, where NAIA terminal 2 (Centennial Terminal), is located)
e. Ninoy Aquino Avenue (formerly Imelda Avenue, where NAIA Terminal 1 is located)
Sales Road (connects SLEx with Andrews Avenue [near Villamor Airbase) and Lawton Avenue to Fort Bonifacio, Taguig)
f. Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue (formerly Buendia, Pasay Segment only from Macapagal Blvd., Roxas Blvd. up to Taft Avenue vicinity)
12. Pasig Number Coding Window: Number coding hours in Pasig City is from 7am to 7pm with 9am to 4pm window hours for private vehicles. Note the two hour difference from the regular MMDA number coding window hours.
13. Pateros Number Coding Window: Number coding hours in Pateros follows the MMDA number coding schedule from 7am to 7pm with 10am to 3pm window hours for private vehicles.
14. Quezon City Number Coding Window: Number coding hours in Quezon City follows the MMDA number coding schedule from 7am to 7pm with 10am to 3pm window hours for private vehicles. No number coding on August 19 (Quezon City Day)
15. San Juan Number Coding Window: Number coding hours in San Juan follows the MMDA number coding schedule from 7am to 7pm with 10am to 3pm window hours for private vehicles.
16. Taguig number coding: Number coding in Taguig is not implemented (including Bonifacio Global City (The Fort, Bonifacio High Street) except on C5, East Service Road and Manuel L. Quezon Avenue (national roads in the City of Taguig). Be mindful too when crossing boundaries with Makati particularly Kalayaan Ave. that connects C-5 to EDSA where it's strict 7am to 7pm "color coding" with no window.
17. Valenzuela Number Coding Window: Number coding in Valenzuela City follows the MMDA number coding schedule from 7am to 7pm with 10am to 3pm window hours for private vehicles.
Vehicles exempted from Number Coding:
Motorcycles, ambulances, fire trucks, police patrol cars, military vehicles, diplomatic vehicles with diplomatic plates (blue plate numbers), government vehicles, vehicles with perishable goods in commercial quantity, and those exempted by law or those with proper number coding exemption permits from the MMDA e.g. shuttle buses, school bus service vehicles (those yellow-colored vehicles with grilles and corresponding franchises), media vehicles, medical practiotioners during emergency.
Streets exempted from number coding during window hours (meaning you can drive by the length of these roads between 10am and 3pm, worry-free)
EDSA, C5, Pres. Diosdado Macapagal Avenue, Roxas Boulevard, Skyway, SLEX, NLEX
New vehicles with still no LTO plate numbers (registered but no plate number available) use the last digit number of the conduction sticker to determine the number coding day.
Vehicles with commemorative plates are not exempted from the number coding, per MMDA. Don't push your luck too far. It's really unfair for those who can't afford to buy those expensive plates issued by various agencies and organizations (PNPA, LEAP et al)
Number coding is suspended during national holidays (non-working holidays except during the time of PGMA using holiday economics) and weekends e.g. January 1 (New Years Day), May 1 (Labor Day, November 1, December 25 (Christmas Day), National Heroes Day (Last Monday of August 26, 2013), Ninoy Aquino Day (August 21), December 30 (Rizal Day), Eid Al Fitr (Muslim End of Ramadan), Eid Al Adha (Islam's Feast of Holy Sacrifice) Traditionally, Number coding is not suspended on February 25, (EDSA People Power) since only classes are suspended and still a working holiday.
MMDA Number Coding Holy Week suspension is now traditionally from Holy Tuesday to Good Friday (April 17 and April 18 2014)
If you're smart enough to know where the MMDA traffic enforcers are (plus the city's own traffic enforcers like MAPSA of Makati), you can take a route that avoids them to make your own Number coding route but it's not recommended. Just follow the law ('wag pasaway), unless you're in an emergency situation.
What happens if you violate the MMDA number coding? You get flagged down on the road and issued a traffic violation ticket (TVR) with corresponding fine P300.00 for the MMDA
For the latest news and updates on MMDA number coding, you can follow MMDA Twitter account or call MMDA hotline 136
Tutubi's take on number coding for dummies, don't use your cars during number coding days if you're not too sure of your route. Tutubi takes the MRT or LRT to get to Makati during Thursdays. For the past years, he only got to go out during number coding day last December 23, 2010 for he works in the Republic of Makati with it's own set of rules not aligned with the MMDA.
MMDA Number Coding Holy Week
Baguio Number Coding
You may be looking for the following entry keywords too:
Number coding exempted, MMDA number coding suspended, Color coding, January 1, February 25, April 9, April 14, 15, 16, May 1, June 12, July, August, September, October 26 29 30 31, November 1 2, December 25, 30, 31
UPDATED: April 2014
Labels: Metro Manila
posted by backpacking philippines @ 10:24 PM,
- At May 15, 2011, 7:44:00 PM, said...
Do you know if number coding is in effect in other provinces going to Baguio? I know it is in Baguio, but I don't know about Tarlac or Pangasinan where people usually pass. Have plans of going to Baguio this week. Thanks
- At May 16, 2011, 1:33:00 PM, backpacking philippines said...
parakeets915, no number coding in other provinces outside metro manila...in number coding in baguio is only in baguio CBD i.e. session road included
- At Jun 13, 2011, 4:59:00 PM, said...
Is there number coding in Tagaytay or in any of the provinces leading to Tagaytay like Cavite and Sta Rosa? We have a seminar there this Friday. thank you.
- At Jun 13, 2011, 5:47:00 PM, backpacking philippines said...
anonymous, no number coding in cavite nor tagaytay. I only know it's in Metro Manila but not all cities. Number coding in Baguio coverage limited to Baguio CBD i.e. mostly session road
- At Aug 19, 2011, 4:59:00 PM, said...
Is Commemorative Plate like NBI@75, Exempted from Number Coding..?
- At Aug 20, 2011, 1:45:00 PM, backpacking philippines said...
anonymous,no. commemorative plates are never meant to be exemptions from number coding. such practice reeks of paying for exemption from the law :(
- At Nov 14, 2011, 8:28:00 PM, said...
Is there a coding scheme at C5 road coming from laguna going to bonifacio high streets in taguig?
- At Nov 14, 2011, 9:55:00 PM, backpacking philippines said...
anonymous, read above and see the answer: yes, there's number coding at c5 but with window hours
- At Dec 20, 2011, 9:40:00 AM, said...
If our car is coding and we will use it for the interment of a relative, can we be excused or get a permit instead to be able to use our car?
- At Dec 20, 2011, 5:35:00 PM, backpacking philippines said...
anonymous, try to contact MMDA even thru twitter. normally, i can see number coding cars part of a funeral but avoid using it in going home during coding. try to go home during the number coding window
- At Dec 21, 2011, 10:17:00 PM, said...
is there a color coding this coming dec 23? because were going to fetch relative in the airport.. tnx.
- At Dec 22, 2011, 4:10:00 PM, backpacking philippines said...
anonymous, number coding not lifted on december 23. just try to go there early or during the number coding window. note the roads around NAIA don't have number coding as posted here so if you're from Cavite or Laguna or Batangas, Quezon and beyond, you don't have to worry about number coding
- At Apr 17, 2012, 10:17:00 AM, makati office space said...
This would be very helpful to the foreigners who are visiting Metro Manila. I recommend taking the MRT lines for faster travel.
- At Apr 27, 2012, 10:15:00 AM, said...
may coding ba this may 1 2012 pasay area
- At May 18, 2012, 3:43:00 AM, said...
SAna makAtAPOS Ako Ng pag aaraL kO at na TULOnagn ko anG mga MhaLko sa BuHAY guSTO KO poNG maKATApoS nG PAG aaRAL aT gusTo koNg MAdALLING mKAhaNp ng trABAHo na stewardes oR HrM NG mtulOngan ko AGad ANg mga magulANg Ko tNX po,,,,
- At Jun 20, 2012, 9:41:00 AM, said...
^ tulungan mo muna ang sarili mo na mag-type sa keyboard ng maayos bago mo tulungan ang mga mahal mo sa buhay. salamat
- At Jul 5, 2012, 11:32:00 AM, said...
From NAIA terminal 2 going to Sta. Rosa Exit at SLEX to Tagaytay from 7AM to 10AM, is there a number coding using my private car?
- At Jul 12, 2012, 9:48:00 AM, backpacking philippines said...
anonymous, as stated above under Paranaque, there are no number coding for roads around the airport. you can go there and leave anytime to/from tagaytay
- At Aug 15, 2012, 12:42:00 PM, said...
great blog. thanks for the info..
- At Sep 25, 2012, 11:48:00 AM, said...
Do you have an idea on how to get "PERISHABLE GOODS, DO NOT DELAY" application from MMDA? I'm planning to get one for my trucks to excempt from number coding. Thanks.
- At Dec 7, 2012, 8:47:00 PM, said...
may coding po ba sa december 25, 2012? tnx in advance sa mga sasagot., God bless po and merry christmas!!
- At Dec 8, 2012, 10:25:00 PM, backpacking philippines said...
anonymous, the "persihable goods do not delay" coding exemption is available from the MDDA, apply there
anonymous, no number coding on Christmas day and other holidays as indicated above, no need really to ask a question if you read the post :(
- At Jan 13, 2013, 11:34:00 AM, said...
Is there a 10am-3pm window coding in baguio? So basically we have to avoid session road if color coding?
- At Apr 3, 2013, 11:22:00 PM, said...
Is there a number coding from tenement going go market2x?? Plss answer.
- At Apr 3, 2013, 11:29:00 PM, backpacking philippines said...
Anonymous, if you'll pass by C5 there's coding there if interior roads of taguig no coding
- At May 21, 2013, 11:37:00 PM, Donn Tamayo said...
May window ba sa private bus
- At May 22, 2013, 1:09:00 PM, backpacking philippines said...
donn, yes, there's window. only public utility vehicles don't have mmda color coding windows.
- At Aug 25, 2013, 1:35:00 PM, Jhe said...
Ask ko lang po tom.is national heroes day holiday is there any color coding in makati tom?tnx
- At Aug 25, 2013, 1:37:00 PM, Jhe said...
Ask ko lang po may color coding ba bukas sa makati eh holiday po..tnx
- At Apr 7, 2014, 12:25:00 PM, said...
suspended po ba number coding sa april 9, 2014 thanks
- At Apr 7, 2014, 5:45:00 PM, backpacking philippines said...
anonymous, yes, no number coding on holidays
- At Jun 19, 2014, 11:48:00 PM, said...
is rockwell makati included in number coding?
- At Jul 7, 2014, 9:18:00 AM, said...
magandang araw. ask ko lang yung punta/galing NAIA T2 galing slex, kasi kung exit ng sucat may coding sa D Santos Av, so dapat may villamor dadaan? salamat po. suggestion lang po.
- At Jul 21, 2014, 11:11:00 AM, said...
Is there number coding in the province of whole cavite. Thank you
- At Jul 23, 2014, 9:58:00 PM, said...
Is there coding from Pablo ocampo to Coastal Rd. via Roxas Blvd or Macapagal Blvd?
- At Dec 16, 2014, 7:22:00 PM, said...
Is there window hours also in Bicutan?
- At Dec 31, 2014, 9:01:00 AM, said...
May coding bang ngaung araw dec 31, 2014. Papuntang airport terminal 3?
- At Mar 8, 2015, 5:58:00 PM, Dennis Rollo said...
is there a coding in buendia skyway going south? thanks